Try This: DIY Plate Wall | The Homey Owl: Try This: DIY Plate Wall

Friday, March 21, 2014

Try This: DIY Plate Wall


I'm excited to finally be sharing this project here! I hinted at it several weeks ago on my Instagram, but I never got around to actually photographing the full thing and putting it up here.

My mom has an epic plate wall in her dining room and when I started seeing cute and inexpensive "state" plates at thrift stores, I started collecting my favorites. (I say "state" because that was the original idea, but I have Paris, Islandia, and a couple Bermuda Islands plates, too.) Over time I assembled a collection that I enjoyed and decided that they would work great in our dining room where we had a sad and empty wall.


I've really enjoyed the playful atmosphere it's added to our dining room and was really happy with how easy it was to put together.

Some of the plates came ready to hang, like the picture below, which was really helpful. If you want to make this project super easy on yourself, just search around for those.


With the others, I thought and searched around for alternatives to the typical plate hangers. (I don't care for how you can see them peeking around the sides.) After a lot of searching and thinking I realized I had a solution sitting right here at home. Gorilla glue and paper clips!


It might not be pretty, but it's functional! I decided where to put the paper clip after finding the top center of the front of the plate, then I used my fingers (and Michael's help) to reach around to the same spot on the back of the plate. We marked that with a sharpie. Then we put the plate face down, centered the paper clip, and covered it with Gorilla Glue (remember the stuff expands a lot). After letting it sit overnight the plates were ready to hang up!

(Be sure that your paper clip is still well covered after the glue has dried. We had to touch up a couple of ours to be sure that they wouldn't fall off once on the wall. They've been sitting up there safely for over a month now, though, so I think we can say this method works!)

Have fun DIYing!


What's a home project you've worked on recently?

xoxo,
Stacia

3 comments:

  1. It looks great. Gorilla glue and a paperclip, GENIUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! I've been looking for ways to decorate on a budget and this is perfect~!

    http://www.ourlifeisbeautiful.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a cute idea!! There are so many cute plates at thrift stores, and this is such a creative way to use them :-)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me, I'd love to hear them! Comments always make my day. Thanks for stopping by!