Pretty Paper Poinsettia DIY (Free Template!) | The Homey Owl: Pretty Paper Poinsettia DIY (Free Template!)

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pretty Paper Poinsettia DIY (Free Template!)

Good morning everyone! As I promised yesterday, I am here to share with you how to make the pretty poinsettia that was topping my frozen hot chocolate beverage. I originally shared this over at By the Porchlight last month, but I wanted to bring a copy of it over here, too. I really enjoyed creating this template, and making what I hope is an incredibly clear tutorial.

Supplies:
Paper Poinsettia Template
A printer
Pretty papers (Card stock worked best, especially for the larger flower, but a lighter weight paper would probably function well for the smaller flower)
Toothpicks, wooden stir sticks, or paper straws to glue the finished product on

Step One: Select your papers and cut them to fit in your printer
Step Two: Print the poinsettia template on to the back of your paper (This is to help you avoid cutting the template out and painstakingly tracing it on to the back of your paper. It is much more time efficient.)
Step Three: Cut all of your pieces out.
Step Four: Carefully fold each petal down the middle. Also fold the center piece down the middle of each rounded side. It will help add dimension to the final product. (I used my thumb to help curve the petal around, as shown in my 2nd photo.)
Step Five: Place a dab of hot glue in the center of each petal layer, attaching the next petal layer so that the petals are off-set. Repeat until you add the center to the top of the final layer.
Step Six: Attach leaf to the bottom layer.
Step Seven: Attach either string or toothpick. Whatever it is you want to use so that it can be used as either an ornament or a food decoration.

Ta da! You're done!
I made an ornament and the pretty topper for the frozen hot chocolate. I think that this flower might also be pretty in other colors, and would probably work super well as a gift topper in place of a bow. I'd love to see how you decide to use it!

Please let me know if you have any questions or problems with the template/tutorial. I'll be happy to help in any way I can.

xoxo,
Stacia

Project vision & execution by Stacia Baskin // Photography by Michael Baskin

4 comments:

  1. Such a great tutorial and I can see it being used many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Simple paper crafts are one of my favorite things to do. :)
    Liz
    www.liz-makes.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love that it can double as a drink topper and ornament :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and pretty! My kind of craft! Thanks for sharing over at The Weekend Re-Treat hope to see you Thursday evening!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me, I'd love to hear them! Comments always make my day. Thanks for stopping by!