Thankful November: Our Theatrical Engagement | The Homey Owl: Thankful November: Our Theatrical Engagement

Monday, November 4, 2013

Thankful November: Our Theatrical Engagement


Today is a super special day for Michael and me! One year ago today we got engaged. It was such wonderful and special event - as all engagements should be! I am continuously amazed by the wonderful man I am married to, how well he truly knows me, and the lengths he will go to in order to make me feel truly special.

Michael planned the day out so perfectly. He took me out for a picnic lunch earlier in the day and then I dropped him off with his friend Will - they were supposed to be going to Chattanooga to give blood. I, then, went to have dinner with my good friend (and soon-to-be bridesmaid) Emily. I did not believe that I would be seeing Michael again that night.

After dinner Emily, who drove, made an excuse for us to stop by the auditorium on campus before she dropped me back at the car. We went in and all the lights were out which was not unusual for the weekend. However, once we got to the auditorium, I noticed that there were tea candles going from one of the aisles, all the way up to the stage, and then all along the front of the stage. I was still in shock and unsure what was going on when I heard cameras clicking and the stage lights came on to reveal Michael standing in the middle of the stage, rose petals everywhere, and my friend Krissy the owner of Kiki's Photography Service snapping photos. Emily smiled and maybe nudged me forward...parts of this occasion are still an emotional blur.

Once I reached Michael, he hugged me and pulled me over to a seat at the table he has set up in the middle of the stage. He said so many special and wonderful things before a few of our friends came out one by one and spoke about how they felt about our relationship and how much they cared about us. (I'll admit, I did really well holding it together until my best friend came out and started talking, then I started to tear up.) He even wrote me a poem which he, with the help of several more unseen friends, recited to me, before he dropped to one knee and asked me to marry him. Of course I said yes!

I am still so, so amazed by the lengths he went to in order to make the night special. He had all of our dear friends present (except for a few that were too far away to be there), he got permission from my former professor to reserve the stage and use the light board, he wrote me a poem, and he had someone capture photos of the moments. All of these things are things I care about and to have them all brought together for one special event, made it even more magical. I am so thankful for the work and effort he and everyone else put in to this day, and I am loving being married a year later. I hope this story is one that continues to bring us joy every year, and that we tell our kids and grand kids to come.

Here are some of my favorite photos from the evening. These were captured by Kiki's Photography Service. I love how she captured the joy of the occasion, yet she was very non-invasive during the actual proposal. Some of these are obviously posed from after the proposal, but she was wonderful about letting us have our moments, celebrating with friends, and just flowing with everything going on. If you need a good, well priced, photographer and live in TN (I'm not sure if she'd be willing to travel - but there's no harm in asking), you should definitely look her up! (Krissy, thank you for these pictures and for letting me share them here!)

This photo is the only photo I'm featuring not by Kiki's Photography Service. This one is by my dear friend and former housemate Jennifer Nelson.








I will leave you with our friend Will's expression. I think it captured the joy we felt for sure!

xoxo,
Stacia, the Homey Owl

I am linking this up to Chasing Happy's Thankful Project as an experience I am thankful for.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe that was a year ago!!! My memories of that night are still so vivid that, in some ways, it seems like yesterday, but then again, I was thinking the other day how it seems like you two have been married for years, so it kind of feels like a long time ago too :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I can't believe that was a year ago!!! My memories of that night are still so vivid that, in some ways, it seems like yesterday, but then again, I was thinking the other day how it seems like you two have been married for years, so it kind of feels like a long time ago too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is my first visit to your blog and I cried reading this! What a beautiful story and the photos are gorgeous as well. Thank you for sharing you heart! I am thrilled to be following you on bloglovin' now. Found you from the Collective Blog Hop. Hugs dear girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my heart! How cute is that :) What a special and unique way to propose. I'm glad your friend was able to capture it as well, those are photos that you will always cherish. [And can I just say: her business name is so 'punny' and awesome!]

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so precious! I loved the story, such an awesome memory for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is such a sweet proposal! What an awesome, thoughtful evening you two had. Definitely one of the best stories I've heard :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How adorable! and what sweet heart for planning such a special moment. :) now wedding planning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing story of your engagement!! Bravo to Michael for making it so special and quite the event!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the most romantic story ever! I loved it! It's like a movie or fairytale! I am so glad I found your blog:)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me, I'd love to hear them! Comments always make my day. Thanks for stopping by!