Cook This: Avocado, Egg & Bacon Goodness | The Homey Owl: Cook This: Avocado, Egg & Bacon Goodness

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Cook This: Avocado, Egg & Bacon Goodness


A while ago I saw this pin on Pinterest and pinned it because it looked unique and interesting - and gluten free which is huge. I had mostly forgotten about it until Michael & I were having a date/running errands day and decided that we were both too tired to go to a restaurant for dinner but that we still wanted to eat something special for dinner to keep the date night vibe. While we were wandering around the grocery store, I happened to remember this recipe. Michael, thankfully, is always up for trying a new food at least once, so we grabbed some avocados, eggs and bacon and headed home.

When I came home, I loaded the pin to make sure there weren't any fancy tricks I needed to be aware of, but the link did not go to the recipe but some other random site. With that, Michael & I decided that we would wing it, and here is the recipe for the deliciousness.

Ingredients: (You can easily make as much or as little of this recipe as you want based on how many avocados you use and how much bacon you want to sprinkle on top of each.)
Avocados
Eggs (1 per 1/2 of an avocado)
Bacon (the more you cook, the more prominent it will be in your recipe)

1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Partially cook your bacon. (We microwaved ours for a few minutes, it helped decrease the grease amount once you put it on top of your eggs in the oven.)
3. Slice your avocados in half, and scoop out some of the insides
4. Arrange the avocados in a pie dish so that they stay upright.
5. Place one whole egg in each half - they may overflow a bit if your avocados are small
6. Chop up your partially cooked bacon and sprinkle it on top
7. Place in the oven for approximately 20 minutes until the egg and bacon are well cooked.
8. ENJOY!


This was a great, high protein meal that is fairly easy to throw together and tastes really good. Michael & I both agreed that it was rich, but oh so good, and I think it may be reappearing at our next date night in.

What special meals do you like to cook?

xoxo,
Stacia, the Homey Owl

7 comments:

  1. They look so cute and tasty! I need to make these for sure. I honestly suck at picking avocados though, I never get it right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this combines delicious bacon with healthy avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds and looks delicious!! Nice combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Avocados are amazing. I once tried a vegan recipe for chocolate cake using them instead of butter. It was a huge hit with all my friends. The avocado frosting was one of the best icings I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooooo!!! I love this idea! Avocados are my favorite! I love preparing raw vegan meals and use avocado a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh - but I also eat cooked and not vegan too! LOL!

      Delete
  6. Oh yum! I tried to make this once (not realizing that I needed to scoop out avocado) and had a lot of overflowing egg! These look super tasty though and I'd love to try again.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me, I'd love to hear them! Comments always make my day. Thanks for stopping by!