Halloween Film Favorites | The Homey Owl: Halloween Film Favorites

Monday, October 14, 2013

Halloween Film Favorites

As with most holidays, Halloween has its own share of films revolving around the day or that just seem to fit the mood people attempt to capture during the month of October. Personally, I don't care for blood and guts films and prefer to keep my Halloween viewing a little tamer. Here is a list of some of my favorite Halloween flicks that I am more than likely enjoying at some point this month!

1. Hocus Pocus
Image Credit: Here
This film is just downright funny. I watched it for the first time last year with my dear friend and roommate, Glenna. These three sisters/witches make for some great comedic villains, and I liked that the film had its frightening moments, yet I knew it would not have left me terrified as a child.

2. Ghostbusters
Image Credit: Here
Michael & I think this movie is great. It's not necessarily completely appropriate for all ages, one of the characters is more sultry than I would personally want to expose young children to. However, for adults, this film holds some great humor and many enjoyable moments that make it worth watching.

3. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Image Credit: Here
Oh, Charlie Brown. I loved this short film growing up, and it is still very sentimental and sweet. You really cannot go wrong with Charlie Brown!

4. The Nightmare Before Christmas
Image Credit: Here
Personally, I don't care to watch this movie during the Christmas season. I prefer a different type of film for that holiday. However, for Halloween this movie fits right in. I love the visual beauty of this film, and many of the creative plot devices used are both ingenutive and hilarious.

5. Harry Potter (all of them)
Image Credit: Here
I know that these films are not strictly Halloween films, nor do I limit my viewing of them to this season, but there is something about them that makes me want to bundle up with blankets, warm drinks, and enjoy pumpkin-type food that makes them feel perfect for October and November. Perhaps it's partially because this is the time of year when I get more sentimental and reflective, and these movies facilitate that greatly.


There are also many Halloween flicks that I have not seen. These are a few that I intend to view this year.

1. Casper
Image Credit: Here
This was one I always wanted to see growing up and just assumed that I wouldn't be allowed to watch, so I never said anything. (Sorry, Dad & Mom, if that's not true! I'm no better or worse for the assumption now!) I forgot about it during my high school and college years when I definitely could have watched it, but stumbled across a mention of it recently. I feel like I owe childhood me a viewing of it.

2. Sleepy Hollow
Image Credit: Here
This one might be about as blood and gutsy as I get, but I am a long time fan of Johnny Depp's and I've been wanting to see this film for a while. Perhaps now that I'm married and have somebody to hold me well after the movie is over, I'll chance it. (Total wimp, yes. But any excuse to cuddle is a good excuse.)

3. The Goonies
Image Credit: Here
This is one on Michael's list of movies for me to see. According to him, it's a crime I didn't see this one as a child. I think he will be more than willing to remedy that defect, and I am interested to see what all his hype is about.


What movies do you like to watch during the Fright-full month of October?

xoxo,
Stacia, the Homey Owl

**Please not that these links are to outside sources and I am in no way responsible for the content they display on their webpages. Thank you. :)

6 comments:

  1. These are all such good Halloween movies!!! I can't wait to watch them :) My favorites are Hocus Pocus and Casper - I watch them every year as tradition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Casper is planned in to my evening. I'm really looking forward to watching it for the first time - and probably not the last!

      Delete
  2. Great list!!! I've actually never seen The Goonies, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, or Ghostbusters but I may hunt them down before the month is up. It's funny that you think Hocus Pocus was funny, I have to admit I haven't seen it in years but it used to be one of my favorites when I was younger and I don't remember it being funny, I thought it was more scary. Haha. May have to watch it again soon and see if I find it funny now that I'm older.

    As for the movies I watch, I watch Harry Potter all year round so I won't include those but these last few years I prefer watching scary movies, like The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Evil Dead. In the last few years I have gotten in the habit of watching Rocky Horror during October. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never saw Hocus Pocus as a child, but it probably would have scared me then. It's funny how movies can change as you get older. I hope you like the other three, too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I loved watching Hocus Pocus with you!! I watched it the other day myself. Mike is introducing me to the scarier side of Halloween this year. He's got Poltergeist on hold at the library and has already checked out the original version of The Fog. I hope you enjoyed The Goonies! It's one of my favorites too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how much of the scarier side of Halloween I can stand. Are you enjoying it? The Goonies was great! I loved it!

      Delete

Share your thoughts with me, I'd love to hear them! Comments always make my day. Thanks for stopping by!