Homemade Hummus (Gluten Free) | The Homey Owl: Homemade Hummus (Gluten Free)

Friday, September 13, 2013

Homemade Hummus (Gluten Free)


For those who don't know, Michael & I have officially switched over to being 100% gluten free for the next 4 months at least. It's been a weird transition from not thinking too much about what I eat (I already have plenty of foods on my 'do not eat' list) to double and triple checking every label for hidden sources of gluten. Of course, the most reassuring items are the ones that are boldly labeled "Gluten Free" - we like those.

I am determined to master this realm of cooking, though. I want friends to be able to come over and not realize they've eaten a gluten free meal. It will happen, people! It will!

A couple days ago I came across a recipe for homemade hummus. The thought that I could make hummus at home had never even crossed my mind! Since then, I have been researching hummus and how to make it like crazy. There are so many variations as far as flavor goes, there are complicated and simple ways to make it, and there are so many good things inside the ingredients themselves!

I finally ended up settling on a combination of all the recipes I'd been looking at. Partially because I couldn't find any tahini in our town (plus I've read that it doesn't have a very long shelf life for how much it costs), and partially because the combination just sounded like it would taste the best.

Recipe:
2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
Half of a large garlic clove, minced
2 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2-1 tsp. cumin (to your personal taste preference)
2-3 tbsp. water
Dash of paprika for serving
Crackers, pita bread, or whatever substance you prefer to eat it with (we used Glutino GF Sea Salt Crackers)

Directions:
In your blender or food processor, blend your chickpeas until they are a thick, smooth texture.
Add in lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, cumin, and salt. Blend well.
If needed, add water to thin out the texture.
Serve yourself some and enjoy!
From all my research, I've read that it will keep in the fridge from 7-10 days.




We really liked the flavor that we achieved with this recipe, but I am looking forward to seeing what other flavors we can achieve in the future. Making something gluten free from scratch is really satisfying - it's nice to be able to eat the things that we've always loved without the worry that we're exposing ourselves to hidden gluten.

Next on my list is to make it with dry chickpeas instead of canned. I searched all over for dry chickpeas because apparently the difference between dry chickpeas and canned chickpeas is like the difference between fresh tuna and canned tuna, but I couldn't find them. (I am determined to try that method at some point, though!)


What are some of your favorite hummus variations? Any fun stories involving hummus out there?

xoxo,
Stacia, the Homey Owl

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me, I'd love to hear them! Comments always make my day. Thanks for stopping by!