Baked Oatmeal - Yummy! | The Homey Owl: Baked Oatmeal - Yummy!

Friday, August 16, 2013

Baked Oatmeal - Yummy!

I love baking. I also love simple dishes that taste and look more amazing than the effort used to produce them. When I saw a recipe for Baked Oatmeal over at Everyday Emma, I knew I had to try it!

I made many modifications to Emma's recipe (which she got from Heidi Swanson via this blog), but she still inspired it, so I feel like I should credit her in order to be completely honest. Now, if you all decide to go with Emma's version instead, I won't blame you, hers sounds amazing. In mine, I had to nix both bananas and cinnamon because I am allergic to both. (Yeah, I know, random things to be allergic to.) I also replaced the cream and milk with a combined measurement of almond milk because Michael and I are attempting to avoid dairy whenever possible. I nixed the egg...because we're out. But, hey, now that's one more egg you can use for something else! Other than that it's mostly the same...or completely different.

But it's really good! I promise!

Stacia's Baked Oatmeal (Inspired by Everyday Emma.)
1 3/4 c. oatmeal
1/3 c. sugar
1 pinch sea salt
1 3/4 c. almond milk
3 tbsp. melted butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2-3 whole fruits or 3 c. berries (I used 3 peaches for mine.)
Honey


1. Preheat your oven to 375.
2. Combine your wet ingredients in one bowl, and your dry ingredients in a separate one.
3. Slice up one peach and cover the bottom of your lightly greased pan.

4. Cover your fruit with the dry ingredients.
5. Evenly pour the wet ingredients over the top of your dry ones. Be sure to cover all the exposed oats for the best moisture and texture result in the end.

6. Slice up your remaining fruit and spread it on the top of your oats mixture.
7. (Optional) Drizzle honey on top of your fruit.
8. Pop it in the oven for 30-45 minutes. (I waited until the oatmeal was bubbling just a tiny bit and the peaches looked cooked.)

9. Remove from the oven, let cool, and enjoy.


Ours went super fast! We both loved it so much. It was sweet enough to please a sweet tooth, but definitely not overly so. (If that makes sense to anyone besides me...) Plus! I loved it so much I made myself a hard copy of the recipe on one of my vintage recipe cards I bought at a thrift store a couple months back.

Let me know what versions of baked oatmeal you end up trying! I think it works great as breakfast or as a healthier treat. Maybe next time I'll try some fresh strawberries!
xo, Stacia, the Homey Owl

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up to Tickled Pink Times Two!
    Make it a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts with me, I'd love to hear them! Comments always make my day. Thanks for stopping by!